Why use mildew resistant paints? Have you spotted mildew growth anywhere in your home? Mildew grows in damp areas, which means it’s likely to form on your bathroom or basement walls.
Can mildew resistant paints, primers, and stains help eliminate mildew from your walls? Yes—with the right preparation.
Painting Mildew-Prone Walls: Start with a Clean and Dry Foundation
Painting over mildew won’t get rid of it. The affected area must be thoroughly cleaned first. Following the proper preparation is critical here.
Note: if you are DIY-ing this project, be sure to wear gloves, protective eyewear, and clothes you don’t mind getting bleach on.
- Mix a solution of three parts water and one part bleach. (Do NOT add ammonia or any other cleaning solutions to this mix.)
- Wipe the solution onto the walls or other affected area with a cloth or sponge, taking care to wipe carefully. It’s important to keep the mildew from becoming airborne, which is why you shouldn’t use a brush.
- Let the solution sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe the solution off, then rinse with clean water.
- Allow the surface to dry completely.
When you are sure that the surface is thoroughly dry, apply a mildew-resistant primer or paint. At Encore, we use:
- Sherwin-Williams Bath Paint – This washable paint resists mildew growth for a minimum of five years.
- Loxon Concrete & Masonry Primer/Sealer – We use this primer on brick, concrete, exterior insulated siding, fiber cement siding, plaster, and stucco.
Preventing Mildew in New or Remodeled Spaces with Mildew Resistant Paints
Give your new bathroom or basement a fresh start with mildew resistant paints. If you have a new or remodeled bathroom, be sure to coat the walls and ceilings. In a basement, you can apply mildew-resistant paint just to the bases of the walls or the entire space.
In a bathroom, mildew resistant paints can’t fight moisture and humidity on its own. A proper bath ventilation system is essential to keeping the room mildew-free.
Let Us Do the Dirty Work: Interior Painting Services in Collin County
Don’t want to deal with mildew? Don’t worry! Encore Painting can take care of your interior mildew resistant paint job.
Every Encore paint project starts with meticulous preparation. Our team:
- Clears the room. Our pro team will remove any furniture and belongings that can be moved from the room. If there are items that for whatever reason cannot be removed, they will be moved to the center of the room and completely covered with a heavy-duty drop cloth.
- Covers and protects the floors. We take the utmost care when it comes to protecting your floors from damage. Our team will cover the floors and do the appropriate trim taping when necessary.
- Cleans the walls. A clean wall is the best canvas. We will scrub down your walls with a mild cleanser, rinse them, and allow them to dry completely before applying the primer.
For a complete interior paint job in the Collin County area, call the professionals at Encore Painting at 972-464-7205. Or get a free estimate by filling out our online form.